The Delhi Wildlife Park itself is also called the zoo. This zoo is one of the best zoos in Asia. However, it is a relatively modern construction that was built much later in an ancient city like Delhi. Its construction began in 1951 and was completed with its inauguration in 1959. It is built near the old fort of Delhi.
The zoo was designed by Major Wineman of Sri Lanka and Karl Hegelbeck of West Germany. Spread over 214 acres, this organic garden has 22000 species of animals and birds and 200 types of trees. Animals and birds brought from Australia, Africa, America, and Asia can also be seen here.
The zoo also has a library where information about trees, plants, animals, and birds can be obtained. The zoo opens from 8 am to 6 pm in summer and 9 am to 5 pm in winter. There is weekly detention here on Friday. It is forbidden to bring any kind of food and drink to the zoo except for a bottle of water.
History About Delhi Zoo
Also named as Chidiya Ghar or famous as Delhi Zoo. National Zoological Park is one of the most happening place for kids in New Delhi. Filled with thousands of beautiful birds, lush greenery and wild cats – it’s really one place to be in. A home to 22000 animals with 130 species of animals and birds, it can be seen either by foot or by battery – operated vehicle. Spread over 214 acres, it was established in the year 1959.Basic Details About National Zoological Park
|Location||Mathura Road, Pragati Maidan, New Delhi|
|Nearby Metro Station||Pragati Maidan Metro Station|
|Timing||9:00 AM - 7:00 PM (Summer)
9:30 AM - 5:00 PM (Winter)
|Closed||Every Friday throughout the year|
|Entry Fees||Rs.40 (Adult); Rs.20 (Children above 5 years) indians
Rs.200 (Adult) Foreigners
Interesting Facts about Delhi Zoo
- The Delhi Zoo is home to more than 1800 individual animals including over 300 different species) living blissfully in their natural habitats.
- The National Zoo is working to help the giant pandas with ongoing breeding, conservation, and research so that one day they can be safely entered back into its natural environment.
- The National Zoological Park became the first organization outside of New Zealand to hatch a brown kiwi in 1975.
- The zoo receives about two million visitors each year.
Traveller Tips About Delhi Zoo
- Purchase the shuttle ticket of Rs 55 per adult to make your journey happy in the zoo.
- Take a zoo guide of Rs 10 to help you out throughout your journey. You can get it at ticket counter.
- Ticket cost is Rs 40 per adult.
- A neat and free washroom available just after entering inside the zoo just after entering from security gate and your ticket checking.
- It will take 3-4 hrs to complete the zoo.
- Clock room is available near ticket counter.
- Only water bottle is allowed inside.
- No restaurants available inside. Only small shops of coffee, ice cream, milk and cold drink is available.
- Restaurants are available near parking slot.
Best Time to Visit In Delhi Zoo
Winter is the best time to visit in Delhi Zoo. During summer you are not able to see all the animals that live in the zoo. So, from the month of October to March you can enjoy the beauty of the zoo and the flora and fauna of the park.
How to Reach In Delhi Zoo
The nearest metro station is Pragati Maidan metro station. You can reach the park via local buses or hire a taxi.