Fatehpuri Masjid is located at the western end of Chandni Chowk. This mosque was built in 1650 by Fatehpuri Begum, one of the wives of Emperor Shah Jahan. The mosque is constructed of red sandstone.
The mosque appears to be very small from outside, but going inside it shows that it is a huge structure. The mosque is in traditional design whose prayer hall is arched with huge arches inside it. The mosque has both one storey and two storey structures.
The mosque has three gates whose gate is in front of the Red Fort, and the other two are in the north and the south of the mosque.
The resonant of Islam is still present today for its two major festivals, Eid-ul-Fitr and Eid-ul-Juha. Even today in this mosque with grandeur.Basic Information About Fatehpuri Masjid
|Location||Chandni Chowk Rd, Fatehpuri, New Delhi|
|Nearest Metro Station||Chandni Chowk Metro Station|
|Timing||from sunrise until sunset
except from noon until 1.30 p.m. when prayers are held.
|Best Time To Visit||Early Morning|
Festivals at Fatehpuri Masjid
- Eid-ul-Fitr is the most grand festival of Muslims celebrated with full fervor and enthusiasm.
- This festival is celebrated after a month of fasting when Amavasya appears.
- Thousands of devotees congregate in the mosque on Eid and mostly wear white kurta-pajamas.
- A grand prayer is held in the morning outpost which people embrace each other and greetings are exchanged.
- Eid-ul-Azha is the second most important festival celebrated in the mosque. The festival is also known as the ‘festival of sacrifice’.
- A grand prayer meeting is held in the mosque which ends with a special ‘Dua’ for the peace and prosperity of the believers.
- People exchange greetings and donate food.
- Chandni Chowk (1.5KM)
- Jama Masjid (1.7KM)
- Red Fort (2.2KM)
- National Gandhi Museum (4.9KM)
- Akshardham Temple (10.6KM)
Best time to Visit Fatehpuri Masjid
The ideal time to go is early in the morning, before the crowds arrive.
How to Reach Fatehpuri Masjid
If you are going to Fatehpuri Masjid, then you should use the metro. Chandni Chowk Metro Station is the nearest metro station. After reaching Chandni Chowk metro station, you should use sharing autos or rickshaws. If you want, you can use DTC bus but it will take more time to travel in the bus.