The National Museum is located at 10, Janpath, New Delhi. This National Museum of New Delhi is one of the best museums in the country. This museum, established in Delhi in 1949, exhibits many interesting things. Working under the cultural ministry, it is situated on the banks of Maulana Azad Road and Janpath and exhibits a wide variety of arts from the Prague-historical period to the modern era.
The museum began with an exhibition of Indian objects held in London in 1947–48. The operator of the exhibition, held at the Royal Academy, London, decided to display the unique objects displayed in the exhibition in India before returning it to their original museums. As a result, all these things were displayed in Rashtrapati Bhavan in Delhi.
This exhibition attracted so many connoisseurs that it was decided to build the National Museum in Delhi itself. It came into existence the same year and was inaugurated by Chakravarti Rajagopalachari, the then Governor of India. However, the present museum building was completed in 1960 and after that it was opened to the public.Basic Information About National Museum
|Location||Janpath Road, Rajpath Area, New Delhi|
|Nearest Metro Station||Udyog Bhavan Metro Station|
|Year of Establishment||1949|
|Open||Tue - Sun
Closed on Monday
|Timing||10:00 AM - 6:00 PM (Tue - Fri)
10:00 AM - 8:00 PM (Sat & Sun)
|Entry Fees||Rs.20 (Adults); Rs.650 (Foreigners) including Audio Guide; Student upto 12th class have free entry tickets (with I-cards)|
Interesting Facts About National Museum
- Until the year 1992, the National Museum of Natural History was known as the British Museum (Natural History) or BM (NH).
- It is the most Visited Museum among the Smithsonian Museum in America. In 2009, on an average, 7.9 million people visited this place.
- The museum was opened on March 17, 1910. It is more than a century old now.
- There is a Hall of Dinosaurs inside the Museum which is most visited by the kids.
- This Museum of Natural History has the most popular diamond in the whole world, “Hope Diamond”.
- This is a unique collection of artefacts found anywhere in India. Currently, more than two lakh items of Indian and foreign origin are on display in the museum.
- It is here that textile and decorative items are displayed in the Handicrafts Gallery. The excavated remains of Delhi are here.
- This Museum has a conservation laboratory. Many artifacts are kept in this laboratory and students are also given training.
Best time to Visit In National Museum
The perfect time to visit the National Museum is on Wednesday morning, preferably around 10:00 am, as the museum hosts gallery talks every Wednesday at 11:00 am in the respective galleries.
How To Reach In National Museum
The nearest metro stations of the National Museum are the Central Secretariat or Udyog Bhavan Metro, you can easily reach the museum by metro. The museum is about 3 – 4 kilometers from the metro; You can go there by rickshaw with battery.