Purana Qila is an attractive structure located in Delhi, the capital of India, which was built by the Mughal King Shah Suri in 1538. Let me tell you that it is one of the ancient forts of Delhi and is a fascinating historical site, overlooking the royal history of this city. The old fort complex is spread over an area of about five miles and three gates have been built to enter this fort.
The old fort is a paradise for history and architecture lovers. If you are going to travel to Delhi, then you must include Purana Qila on your trip. It is also said about the old fort that Humayun died by falling from the stairs of the fort. If you want to know more about Purana Qila, then do read this article, in this article we are going to tell you the history, architecture and interesting facts about Purana Qila.
The old fort was built by Sher Shah Suri in 1533 AD as a part of the town of Din Panah built by the Mughal emperor Humayun. The Afghan ruler captured the city of Humayun’s Deen Panah and named it Shergarh. He also got five structures built on the campus. Shortly after Sher Shah died, this fort was again moved to Humayun. Later, the old fort was ruled by several rulers for a very short time, and then it was captured by the British. Much later in the 1970s, the National School of Drama first used the fort for its plays – Tughlaq, Andha Yuga, and Sultan Razia. After this, the fort gradually became the center for hosting cultural events and concerts.Basic Information About Purana Qila
|Location||Near Delhi Zoo, Mathura Road, New Dehi|
|Nearest Metro Station||Pragati Maidan Metro Station|
|Entry||Rs.20 (Indians); Rs.250 (Foreigners)|
Purana Qila Light And Sound Show
The light and sound show at Purana Qila was started in 2011 and has been attracting tourists since then. This light and sound show presents you a journey from the Mughal period of Delhi to modern India in British India. It has been named as “Ishq-e-Delhi”, after seeing which one will fall in love with the city of Delhi. It covers the myth of Mahabharata and Indraprastha in this show starting in 11th century Delhi and brings you back to present times. Parts of the show are screened in 3D.
Hindi Show Time – 7:30 pm – 8:30 pm
English Show Time – Night 9:00 – 10:00
The show is closed on Fridays.
Interesting Facts about Purana Qila
- The Purana Fort is the oldest known structure in Delhi and is considered to be the ‘first city of Delhi’.
- This world famous fort was built between 1538 AD to 1545 AD by an Afghan ruler Sher Shah Suri for his victory and protection.
- This fort is the oldest fort in Delhi which is located in Mathura Road New Delhi near Delhi’s zoo.
- It was excavated again between 1969 and 1973 near the eastern wall of the old fort. In which the remains from the Mauryan period (300 years BC) to the early Mughal period have been found.
- It is believed that this fort is situated above the city named Indraprastha of the ancient Mahabharata era but no excavated remains were found between 1969 and 1973 to say that it is located above the city named Indraprastha.
- The height of the walls of this fort is about 18 meters, the length of these walls is about 1.5 km. is.
- The Qila-e-Kuhna mosque located in it was built in the year 1541 by Sher Shah Suri, which consists of horseshoe-shaped arches and five gates.
- It has 3 main principal gates which are known as Humayun Darwaja, Talaki Darwaza and Bara Darwaza. All these gates are constructed from red sandstone.
- The Sher Mandal located inside this fort is its most important monument, which is 2 storeys high. Its structure is in the shape of an octagonal pavilion.
- Adjacent to this fort is a garden, a lake surrounded by rows of trees and flowering plants, with facilities for paddle-sailing.
- This fort is built in the ancient Mughal architectural style, in which different types of carvings have been done.
- National Zoological Park (250Meter)
- National ScienceCentre (1.4KM)
- India Gate (2.1KM)
- Lodhi Tomb (2.2KM)
- Red Fort (6.7KM)
Best Time to visit In Purana Qila
The best time to visit Purana Qila is at 3:00 in the day. If you want to enjoy your journey to the fullest, then you should visit Delhi during the winter season. Because this time it is very pleasant, in which you can enjoy walking, sitting on the lawn, boating. If you want to enjoy the sound and light show then go for Purana Qila after sunset.
How To Reach In Purana Qila
If you want to travel to Purana Qila, then tell that the city of Delhi is connected through metro and state-run buses. The closest metro station to visit Purana Qila is Pragati Maidan Metro, which is located on the Blue Line. The fort is about 2 kilometers from the metro. You can hire a local or battery-operated rickshaw to get from the metro station to the fort. If you want to make your journey even more comfortable then you can book a taxi or cab. Apart from this, you can also travel by bus, which will be economical for you.
Online Ticket Booking
If you have made a plan, then you can book online ticket of Purana Qila through ASI Monuments.